Delicious cake using the whole oranges. Gluten free. Butter free.
Orange and Almond Meal Cake
- 250g sugar
- 250g almond meal
- 2 oranges, seeded, washed thoroughly
- 6 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 160C.
- 2. Grease and flour a 25cm cake tin
- 3. Prick the outside of one orange with a fork, place in a microwave-proof container filled with water. Cook in the microwave (or boil in a pot for 8 minutes) until very soft. Blend orange in a food processor to create a puree.
- 4. Whisk together sugar and eggs. Add almond meal and orange puree.
- 5. Place the mixture in the cake tin and bake for 30 mins.
- 6. To make the syrup: Finely grate the rind of the whole orange, then juice. Boil the rind for 5 minutes in a saucepan to soften, then drain and return to the pan. Add the orange juice and sugar and heat on low stirring constantly for about 3 minutes until the sugar dissolves and it becomes syrupy.
- 7. Gently poke holes all over the top of the cake with a skewer and then spoon over the syrup. Serve warm or at room temperature.
There are no questions yet.