This is a vegetarian, budget and family friendly dish. Enjoy!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion, sliced thinly
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 8 cups water
- salt and pepper
- 410g crushed tomatoes (1 tin)
- 800g red kidney beans, drained and rinsed (2 tins)
- sour cream and fresh coriander to serve
- In a frying pan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions until slightly caramelised, about 15 minutes.
- Add the garlic, lentils, cumin, coriander and garam masala. Fry for 2 minutes and add the water and crushed tomatoes. Bring to the boil and reduce heat to simmer for 45 minutes. Season well with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add one tin of the rinsed kidney beans to the pot and then roughly mash the kidney beans from the other tin and add them to the pot. Simmer for a further 20 minutes or until the chilli is to the consistency that you like and the lentils are soft.
- Serve with some sour cream and fresh coriander.
This recipe has not been reviewed yet. You could be the first!
There are no questions yet.